Sunday, May 18, 2008

One night @ an IT Company

''At the stroke of the midnight hour, when half of the world was in slumbers, i noticed a well lit bay with a few software engineers slogging it out to clear the release date well in time....“, these are but day to day occurances in an IT Services company in India. Its night 12.50 AM, and I am still staring dumbly at this dumb computer screen wondering when would the ordeal end and I would go home and hit the sack, to be back in the morning and burn another day....

Its the not the work thats killing me but the time it takes to put in the stuff I churned out into the testing machine, in essence its a two minute job but following the right processes its already 14 hours since I started working on this transition but have no idea when the Tech support people would do my work.

Of course being at the bottom of hierarchy means that my work no matter how important it is, is still down in priority...I wonder whats the purpose of my working so late, when the end consumer would never even know and neither would he bother as to who created all the tools he/she is using for her/his business...it seems so inconsequential. Its like being an unknown force working for those who would never know you....Thats life, and thats work for me, I do it everyday for a living....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Recognition is an important motivation factor - perhaps the strongest amongst soft factors, and sometimes it overshadows other hard factors like money too.
However, one must do something which one likes! Thats the key for everlasting motivation -- because the trigger in that case is internal. In this case, one does not wait for client appreciation mails or appraisal results.. But, the 'work' - or piece of art - is in itself the reason to work!
I know, it may feel insignificant to add a 2 liner code, in the ocean of a thousand lines of logic - however, as long as You know the importance of these '2' lines - you'll feel good abt it! And there r ppl, who do feel so!! So, if u r not one of those.. choose a career/job where u feel the magic.

There were many who felt they were laying bricks, but only one who knew he was building the Taj!

Aditi..............:) said...

When you progress and reach a higher position......dont forget to acknowledgea nd appreciate the ones who are lowest just like you are now.....remember how you felt when it was worst...:)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
@nkur said...

@aditi
True, I believe acknowledgement and encouragement make people work. I also accept that not all days have a happy ending but that doesn't make them any less important!

@aareet
I may not agree, we need to keep on learning new tricks to move up. Every level has its own set of struggles and triumphs. I guess we shouldn't judge but accept and extract the learning

Rajarshi Mukherjee said...

For me, one main motivation of work is seeing the result of my work in action, seeing it having an impact - having changed something - and knowing the efforts I had to put in to bring about this impact. Probably, seeing the result of my work in action is the greatest satisfaction/motivation for me!